Thursday, March 13, 2014

Author Spotlight - Victoria James

We're very happy to welcome Victoria James to the minxes spotlight today, so without further ado, here's her answers to the minx questions!



Tell our readers a little bit about yourself.

I’m a mom and wife and writer. We have two adorable (though a little crazy) kids, ages seven and three and we live near Toronto. I’m an Interior Designer/Small business owner…and as of last year a published Romance Writer J  I write contemporary romance for Entangled, Indulgence.  THE RANCHER’S SECOND CHANCE is my newest release for Entangled, Indulgence.

 What number book is this? First? 100th? 200th?(Nora only!)
Fourth!

Everyone who writes knows it's not easy - what methods do you use to keep at it on days when it would be so much easier to go shoe shopping?

Well, shoe shopping is not on my agenda these days, thanks to two small children who demand all my extra attention ;-). I think it’s easier now that I’m published and have set deadlines. I have no choice! I will try and reward myself with favourite coffees. Or wine :-)

What is your top promo tip for other authors?

One of the biggest things I underestimated before I was published, was how little time there is for actual writing of new books. So, always make writing books the priority, even though there is so much pressure to do all the ‘social media’…

How does writing fit into your day? Or does your day fit in around your writing?

I guess a little of both. This is the first year that I have both kids in school (for at least part of the day). My daughter (three years old) started pre-school in September. So…my day looks like this: 8:15am load kids into car and drop son off at his school, then head over to my daughter’s school. Usually I’m back home by 9:00am and I grab a coffee and get to work…until 11:15 and then it’s off to pick up my daughter. It’s not a lot of time at all, and it always seems that when I get into my groove, it’s time to rush out again. The rest of the day is usually kid stuff. I do try and write most evenings.

Do you write every day?

Usually. Weekends are hard with everyone at home and my kids are still young (read: needy). But if I’m not doing writing, I’ll try and do something writing related.

Keeping fit: Do you have an exercise regime to counterbalance all those hours sitting at a computer?

2.                 I really struggle with this. I never feel like there’s enough time. But (weather permitting) I walk my son to school in the morning and walk to get him in the afternoon. It’s 15 mins in each direction and even though that doesn’t sound like much, 4 times a day it adds up to 60 mins. Better than nothing! :)


 Do you write to music, or with the tv on in the background, or do you need complete silence?

I make a playlist for each book and I’ve started adding the playlists to my website for reader.

Writing snacks – what are your favourites?

Coffee. Coffee. Kettle chips (when I’m deadline crunched!

Do you have any tips, tricks or sacrificial rituals you do when you hit a story roadblock?

I’ll email writer friends, drink wine, write a scene even if it’s out of order, I’ll review my notes or edit other scenes. Anything that will help make progress with my book.



Back Cover Blurb:

Widowed rancher Cole Forrester is all about running his family's ranch and guarding his heart. The last thing he's looking for is love, but when his little sister can't make it home to handle some of her wedding details, he's forced to entertain the event planner, Melanie Simms. Melanie is everything he's not even remotely interested in: she's high-society, complicated, and high maintenance. But when he's stranded with her at his remote cabin in the Colorado mountains, he realizes he's seriously underestimated her. She's hiding something about her past from him, but despite everything, he finds himself falling for the last woman he ever expected, and the first woman to make him want to give his heart and risk everything...

Links:


Website: www.victoriajames.ca
Twitter: @vicjames101

2 comments:

Victoria James said...

Thanks so much for having me here today, Minxes! :)

Caroline said...

Best of luck with your latest release, Victoria. I'm amazed you find any time to write with two small children. Go you! Caroline x