Thursday, March 6, 2014

Author Spotlight - Zara Stoneley

We here at the Minxes of Romance love good bit of erotica. So we are delighted to have erotica author Zara Stoneley in our Spotlight today. Welcome Zara.

1. Tell our readers a little bit about yourself.
I’ve has been writing stories for just about as long as I’ve been reading them. I sold my first erotic novel to Xcite Books in 2012, and since then have had hot romances accepted by several publishers. My stories have featured on romance and erotic bestseller lists in the US and UK.
I divide my time between a country cottage in the UK and a Barcelona apartment, and love my family, sexy high heels, sunshine, good food and wine, coffee, cats, horses, dogs, music, writing and reading - but not necessarily in that order! I like my heroes just how I like my coffee – hot, strong and moreish.
Find out more at: www.zarastoneley.com

2. What number book is this? First? 100th? 200th?(Nora only!)
Sadly, I am no Nora! My first release was in April 2012, and I’ve now had two erotic novels published with Xcite Books, one of which is being published in paperback by a New York publisher soon (more news when I can!), Xcite have also published two of my novellas. I’ve also self-published a series of three books, and had a few short stories published in anthologies. ‘Love Is A Four Letter Word’ was published by HarperImpulse (Harper Collins) on 27th February, and is my second erotic romance with them.

3. What inspired this book?
I do love a bad boy, and the whole idea of rich girl/poor boy rather than the other way round really appeals to me. I think, quite often, independent sassy women are drawn to that ‘wild streak’… although of course appearances can be deceptive and the ‘bad’ bit can just be skin deep! Human nature is fascinating, and the whole opposites attract idea is irresistible… and then if you throw in the idealistic ‘love has no price’...

4. Who or what was the inspiration for your hero?
Well, I’m going to show my age a bit here! Back when I was a teenager I was in love with David Essex, the original bad boy.

Image courtesy of http://geordiebiker.wordpress.com/category/80s/
David (for those younger than me) is a singer and actor. He was in a film called ‘That’ll be the Day’ in the 70’s, as a real bad boy, and also in ‘Silver Dream Racer’ as a motorcycle racer. And he was exactly what I had in mind for Jake. But I’m afraid (please forgive me gorgeous David), I did also ogle this man quite a bit (a more up to date version!)

5. Have you any burning ambitions to write a story in a different genre?
I’ve been lucky enough to have erotic and contemporary romance published, but I’ve also hankered after writing a ‘bonkbuster’ for years. My lovely editor has given me a nudge in that direction, so I’m thrilled. And after that? I’d love to write a thriller/suspense.

6. In what way is being a published writer different to how you thought it would be?
I spend far too much time on promo – I’d love to just sit in an exotic location (preferably hot and sunny), with a glass of wine and write beautiful prose, whilst somebody else did my marketing! Unfortunately the reality is sitting anywhere I can find to grab the odd hour or writing in between the other bits of life.

7. What was the most fun part of writing this book?
Day dreaming about Jake! No, seriously this pair have some serious chemistry and some great banter going on. I loved the teasing and the way they provoked each other. This was one couple I’d like to hang around for longer.

8. Do you have a writing routine? Do you write every day, and is there a time of day that works best for you in terms of being productive?
I aim to write at least 5 days a week, but sometimes it’s 7 days, sometimes 2! I aim to write around the 10-12k mark each week, but some weeks I can spend most of the time wrestling with planning if I think the story is losing its pace. As long as I get to the end of the month with 30k written then I’m happy, any less and I panic. My day kicks off with coffee and social networking, emails etc. and then I will have a quick read through the last few pages I’ve written before starting properly for the day. Unfortunately my muse often kicks in at 10pm which isn’t always ideal! If you’re serious about writing though, I think you do need to see it as a job and make sure you have some goals and discipline – and aim for a routine, even if it doesn’t always work out!

9. Do you have any tips, tricks or sacrificial rituals you do when you hit a story roadblock?
Pause, read the last couple of chapters, have a dig into the characters and try and find out why they’re doing what they are. Then set a word challenge – as has been said many times before, you can’t edit a blank page.


‘Love Is A Four Letter Word’ by Zara Stoneley, published by HarperImpulse


Sometimes being bad can be too good to miss...

Take one rich girl who has a thing for the bad boys.
Take one tough guy who thinks possession is nine-tenths of the misery law.
Mix generously with a land dispute and a whole lotta lust…. And what have you got?
Sometimes being bad can be just too good to miss...

Love is a Four Letter Word is available from Amazon, Amazon UK, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Sainburys and Google Play.



4 comments:

Sally Clements said...

Sounds great, Zara! Ah, silver dream machine, that takes me back!

Unknown said...

I had a serious crush!

Unknown said...

Thanks for having me :-)

Caroline said...

Ohhh, yes - David Essex - my oh my did he have lovely blue eyes! Best of luck with your latest release, Zara! Caroline x