Monday, January 13, 2014

Happy New Year

Firstly, a very Happy New Year to all our blog readers from each and every Minx! May this year bring you everything that you hope for--and more!!

I have plans for this year. Actual plans that I've written down. For me, this is a first. Usually I start the year with a vague idea of what I'm going to do and recently I've not achieved anything like what I wanted to. Last year I turned 40 and lots of things changed in my life. Many remained the same, like my desire to lose weight (but that's a whole different blog post!).

The main difference is that for the first time in almost 9 years I have no little people running around my home during the day. There's still plenty of them after 3pm but between 9 and 3 I have some hours to myself to write. My mother tells me this child free time is for housework but I know different and I'm sure it's me that's right :)

So I've decreed this the year of achievement and to reach my goals I need plans. I've likened this to a ladder of success :) I've been toying with writing in different genres for a while now and, really, if I don't try these things how will I know whether I am any good at them or not?

The first rung on my ladder has been to get a spreadsheet. This handy chart will keep everything I've done this year straight. You can enter up to five different books and every day you just put in how many words you've done on each project. Then it adds them all up for you.

The next part of my plan is to do as many #1k1hr writing sprints on twitter as I can each day. I always seem to get so much more done when I know there are others out there writing their fingers off too.

So I want to know, what do you do to get organised? Do you make goals? And, most importantly, how do you make sure you achieve those goals?

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Wow! 5 books. Go Catherine! The word "spreadsheet" fills me with horror - but yours sounds interesting. Is it an Excel one you've done yourself, or one specifically for a writer? Caroline

Catherine Coles said...

Hahaha, Caroline...one I've done myself. I wish! I can just about manage to fill one out but I have no idea how to even begin making one. I got mine from a lady called Jamie Raintree. I love how I fill out one column and it adds up everything for me :)

Also lol on the 5 books. Secretly I'd be happy if I finish 3 but given one's nearly finished I thought I should aim a little higher ;)