Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Author Spotlight: Lauri Robinson

Today the Minx spotlight turns on to Lauri Robinson who writes for The Wild Rose Press and Harlequin. A very warm welcome Lauri. We can’t wait to get to know you better :)

1. Where were you in your writing career 5 years ago?

I had one book published, and decided I really needed to look deeper into the romance writing world before going through it all again. I joined RWA and my local chapter, and then my writing life just kept getting sweeter and sweeter.

2. Where did you get the idea from for this particular book?

The UNDONE line is sensual, and short, so I had to think about what type of historical situation would pit two people together that could become highly charged, yet include a conflict. The ‘boss’s daughter’ came to mind. At the time I was also writing a story about a mail order bride in Wyoming, so I used research from that story for the setting of this one.

3. Where do you hope to be in 5 years time?

I’d like to have another twenty books on the market, and making a living off my writing. Though I enjoy working a day job, I’d much rather spend those hours writing and having fun with the grandchildren.

4. Which was the last book you read that you wish you'd written?

I can’t think of one I’ve ‘wished’ I’d written. I’ve read several that I’ve really liked how the author created the conflict or story line, and there are a few, namely Linda Lael Miller’s books, that as soon as I finish them, I start reading them all over again.

5. Was there any particular author or book that made you want to be a writer?

I think I became an author through evolution. The Flame and the Flower, by Kathleen Woodiwiss, was the first historical romance that stayed with me long after I’d finished reading it. I anxiously awaited for her next release, and still re-read her books on a regular basis. My husband suggested to me once that I should write a book since I’d read so many, and I answered with, “Fine, I will.” It took five years to get it published, but I’ve never regretted taking his challenge.

6. Do you find writing love scenes giggle-worthy or cringe-worthy – or neither?

Neither. My characters determine the love scenes. I have several sweet books on the market where everything happens behind closed doors, but with the UNDONE line, sensuality is an integral part of the series, so I knew from the get-go the characters would have to keep the door wide open.

7. What's the most romantic moment of your life so far?

Oh, goodness, there are lots of little things that pop into my head…an unexpected phone call, a wink, a grin, a date night…I don’t think I could pick out just one, however if I asked my husband, he’d say it was when, for our 25th wedding anniversary, he surprised me with a trip to Memphis (yes, I’m an Elvis fan). All he said was that I needed to take a few days off work. Of course, before we actually ‘flew out’ he let me know where we were going so I could pack appropriately. The trip was amazing, but the ‘surprise’ part and how he kept me guessing for a few weeks was very sweet and he’s still very proud of how he’d planned it all out without me knowing.

8. What do you wish you'd known about being an author before you were pubbed?

That the route to being published is different for every person, and the most important thing about being an author is to believe in yourself. I wrote, but didn’t believe I was a writer, even after publishing my first book. It was just something I did in my spare time. It wasn’t until my husband started telling people I write romance novels, instead of telling them where I work, that I thought, wow, that is who I am.

9. What's the best writing advice you've ever been given?

Write what you like to read. Hence my passion for historical westerns. When I heard about HQN’s UNDONES, an e-book line dedicated to historicals, I was very thrilled. My first one with them, Wedding Night with the Ranger was their first western, and my second one, Her Midnight Cowboy, is their second western.

10. Tell us about your latest release.

Her Midnight Cowboy was November 1st. Here’s the blurb:

Eastern Wyoming, 1884
In Angel Clayton's opinion, men don't get any finer than hired hand Rowdy McGuire. The very thought of him makes her ache with need—and the sight of his golden, glistening skin only makes it worse. She knows he feels their bodies' magical, intense pull towards one another, even if the honorable cowboy refuses to admit that a drifter and a ranch owner's daughter could ever be together. But Angel is determined to get what she wants—and she wants Rowdy!


And a short excerpt:

They were through the doorway, and he kept moving, forcing her down the hall. “Yes, you.” His nose bumped hers. “You will not parade yourself about half dressed. Not in front of me or anyone else.”
She grabbed the end post of the large staircase, stopping both of them. “Not even my father tells m—”
“Nor will you ride the hills by yourself, or run to town on a whim.” He laid a hand on the stair railing, curling his fingers around the polished wood for support. No longer whispering, he said, “I have ten thousand head of cattle to see to, I don’t need any trouble from you.”
Huffing, she asked, “Trouble from me?”
“Yes.” He nodded at the second floor. “Now hightail your little butt upstairs and get dressed.”
Her eyes widened. “You can’t tell me what to do.”
“Oh, yes, I can.” He took a step back and pointed upstairs. “Go, now.”
Angel’s chin dropped. “I don’t—”
The sting of his palm connecting with her backside stopped her outburst. It had been action without thought. Being responsible for her virtue was more than he bargained for. “Go before I drag you up those stairs and dress you myself.”
“You wouldn’t dare!”
“Try me.” he challenged.
The stare down lasted a few minutes before she gave in and stomped up the stairs. Stopping on about the fifth one, she turned around and glared at him. “You’ll rue this day, Mr. McGuire.”
His eyes locked on the way her breasts rose and fell. “I already do, Angel girl. I already do.”


11. What’s next for you?

Books, and more books, I hope. Guardian Bride, The Quinter Brides Book 4, was released the end of October, Wild Cat Bride, The Quinter Brides Book 5, will be released in April, and a Japanese Publisher, Oakla Publishing, just released the Japanese version of Mail Order Husband in trade paperback on November 9th. I have a couple more UNDONE’S in the query stage, as well as a couple full length stories, and I have three more I’m working on right now. I like to work on several at the same time, that way when I hit a stumbling block on one, I can move right on to another story.

Thank you, very much for inviting me over today, it’s been fun!

Buy link for Her Midnight Cowboy: http://ebooks.eharlequin.com/81D81198-E4FC-4214-8256-09E3F8C5CB1A/10/141/en/ContentDetails.htm?ID=9A831820-D4DE-4187-802A-7A2B8A6DFBD8

Blog: http://www.laurirobinson.blogspot.com/

Please include a jpeg of the book cover and a link to the point of sale / website / blog you’d like us to link to.

4 comments:

Maya Blake said...

I love the sound of your Western Undone, Lauri! Plus they're such a quick fix and hard to resist. It's been lovely getting to know you and your writing :)

Lacey Devlin said...

I love the sound of your Western Undone too Lauri! I love that your husband was the one to start telling people that you are a writer first! Here's to those next 20 books!

Romy Sommer said...

I also started writing after my husband said "Why don't you write a book?". Though admittedly his wording was a little more like "If only you could make some money out of all this time you spend writing"!

Lauri said...

Hi Maya, thanks for stopping by. I love the Undone line, for the exact reasons you stated. They are quick reads that are hard to resist!

Thanks, Lacey, for stopping by! Yes, hubby loves telling people, he's forever passing out my cards.

Thanks, Romy. My husband says the same thing as yours. :)

Thanks so much for hosting me, this is such a fun blog!

Happy Holidays to all!