Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Author Spotlight: Lucy King


This week the Minx spotlight is on Lucy King, winner of the Mills and Boon Feel the Heat competition in 2008 and the Joan Hessayon award. Two of the Minxes were lucky enough to meet Lucy when she picked up her award at the RNA conference in Greenwich and are pleased to report that she's every bit as nice as she seems on her blog :-)
So, on with the questions...

Where were you in your writing career 5 years ago?
Right at the beginning. I’d written one story and had sent it off to Mills & Boon in Richmond. My first ever rejection letter came back in August 2005 saying that while my material was competently written my story didn’t focus strongly enough on the relationship between the hero and heroine. It also suggested I read as many current titles as I could, which given that I foolishly hadn’t read any in the previous twenty years, was excellent advice. So I read as many as I could lay my hands on and decided to keep on trying.

Where did you get the idea for this particular book?

A year or so ago I read somewhere that PR was one of the few industries not to suffer in a recession, and it got me thinking. Modern Heat is about glamour and what better excuse to write about parties? I then decided to give my heroine her own PR company and an over-achieving family and focused on what would be her worst nightmare. Everything else sort of slotted into place. Eventually.

Where do you hope to be in 5 years time?
Geographically, in a beautiful farmhouse in rural southern Spain. Personally, 10 years younger. Professionally, writing my 30th novel for Mills and Boon. Hopelessly wishful thinking on all fronts!

Which was the last book you read that you wish you’d written?
‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’, but only for the royalty cheques and the film rights.

Was there any particular author or book that made you want to be a writer?
No. I didn’t know I wanted to be a writer until I sat down and typed Chapter 1. I started writing more to see if I could do it rather than out of any pressing creative urge. Now I’m strangely addicted.

Do you find writing love scenes giggle-worthy or cringe-worthy?
Neither. At least not if they happen in the right place at the right time. I have to get into the zone and then they (hopefully) write themselves. However I find it really hard to re-read my love scenes as they tend to make me blush.

What’s the most romantic moment of your life so far?
I’ve been trying to think of an answer to this question ever since you invited me here. And tragically I really can’t think of anything. I’d like to think that the most romantic moment of my life is still to come.

What do you wish you’d known about being an author before you were published?
The discipline it requires sometimes to get words down and hit deadlines. This is still a work in progress.

What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever been given?
Me: ‘Oooh, iheartpresents.com is running another contest.’
My husband: ‘You should give it a go.’

Tell us about your latest release?
Propositioned by the Billionaire is about a PR executive who comes from a high-achieving family, has a fear of failure and hair that tends to frizz, and a venture capitalist with his own island and serious trust issues. It also features a flamingo, parties and exploding handbags.

What’s next for you?
I’m working on revising my third Modern Heat and trying not to get too distracted by my ideas for book number 4.

Keep up to date with Lucy's news via her blog Pick up your own copy of 'Propositioned by the Billionaire' at the Book Depository, the Mills and Boon Website or Amazon

14 comments:

Lacey Devlin said...

Great answers! I'm a big fan of the in five years time goals ;) Thanks Lucy and Lorraine!

Sally Clements said...

Great interview, Lucy! Love the sound of the frizzy haired heroine with the exploding handbag! Sorry not to have met you at conference, the other Minxes all report you're lovely, and hope to catch up next year!

Maya Blake said...

Hi Lucy, so great to have you here. I'm so intrigued by the exploding handbag, I'll have to pick up a copy of your book. Congrats on your award and your career so far!

Lucy King said...

Lacey - at the moment I can barely think beyond tomorrow. 5 years seems aeons away!

Sally - aha, I see I managed to fool them! Sorry not to have caught up with you, but def next time.

Thanks, Maya. Actually, technically the handbags don't explode - it's more of a slow sizzle.

(Sorry about the rictus grin in the pic - clearly concentrating too hard on trying not to melt in the heat)

Lorraine said...

It was very hot wasn't it? I should have taken a pic of your holding your prize, is it a trophy?

Lucy King said...

Yes, it's a trophy. Was most stressed about getting it back to Spain without it ending up dented or squashed or even worse, lost. Thankfully it made it here in one piece. Phew.

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Great answers, Lucy. And loved your husband's advice.

Congratualtions again on your award and I'm also sorry I didn't get to meet you at the conference.

XX

Lucy King said...

Oh no, were you there too, Suzanne?? I wish I could have stayed longer...

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Sadly, I was at home - but I wish I had been at the conference and I wish I'd met you.

XX

Caroline said...

Great comments Lucy! Caroline x

Lucy King said...

Thanks for the lovely comments, everyone. It's been an honour to be here today!

Jackie Ashenden said...

Cool, Lucy! Or rather, hot. :-) Hope you're doing okay there in babyland.

Heidi Rice said...

Was lovely to see you at the conference Lucy... And give that man a pat on the back (or better!!) for the best bit of writing advice I've ever heard!!

Maisey said...

Great writing advice, Lucy! A supportive husband is worth his weight in chocolate and coffee beans. (what...that is a HUGE compliment.)

Congrats on your success! And on the little one. :)